Places to Grow – MoveOntario2020 – these are the studies and buzzthiungs that pushed Ontario and Metrolinx to move quickly to add many transit options in GTHA and KW. An updated study by the Province paints a picture, that ignoring mass transit needs for ALL Ontario urban centres would be tantamount to a disaster in the making.
People – this report is a “wake up and smell the coffee” kind of moment – how are we going to transport, house, feed, entertain and employ all these people? We have a choice: Sprawl cities to twice current size and build hundreds of billions of $ in roads to match (sprawl approach) – or build up and build billions in transit systems and billions in road improvements to match (Balanced approach)
From the “Ontario Population Projections Update” published in 2013:
“Ontario’s population is projected to grow by 28.6 per cent, or almost 3.9 million, over the next 24 years, from an estimated 13.5 million on July 1, 2012 to almost 17.4 million by July 1, 2036.”
“The Greater Toronto Area (GTA) is projected to be the fastest growing region of the province, with its population increasing by 2.5 million, or 39.1 per cent, to reach over 8.9 million by 2036. The GTA’s share of provincial population is projected to rise from 47.6 per cent in 2012 to 51.5 per cent in 2036.”
“Net migration is projected to account for 71 per cent of all population growth in the province over the 2012–2036 period, with natural increase accounting for the remaining 29 per cent. ”
The population of (Kitchener-)Waterloo is expected to grow by 36.4 percent by 2036.
Mayor Craig, forever upset that he didn’t get GO Trains in Cambridge (which will still happen, eventually) or Light Rail Trains (Just bus, but again,trains will happen, eventually) is now pushing hard for Waterloo Regional Councillors to come up with the numbers to cancel the LRT system.
Mayor Craig – what are you smoking here, buddy? An extra 200,000 people are going to live in Waterloo Region (including Cambridge) by 2036 and 30, 40 years from now those numbers will only be substantially higher. One must invest in the future if population growth is to grow in a sustained, and orderly manner.
I shutter to think if the Waterloo LRT ‘Ion’ is cancelled, 20 years from now some politicians get together and admit the mistakes of the 2013 council and re-build a mass transit system at a substantial increase in costs all because ‘Places to Grow’ was right. Without the LRT Waterloo Region sprawl would quickly reach St. Jacobs and Elmira – can you imagine? You’d be like Mississauga is today (never-ending sprawl! ha ha ha!)
Cambridge – Now is not the time to get cold feet!